Eight hubs across the country delivering the primary HPV programme have chosen CliniSys software to digitise requesting and reporting for GP practices and laboratory services.
Primary human Papillomavirus screening, is a relatively new way of examining cervical screening samples. Traditionally, cells from the smear test were the first thing to be examined in a laboratory. With the new method, a check for HPV, a common virus transmitted through sexual contact, is the first test carried out.
In 2013, a trial at six laboratories in England indicated that primary HPV screening could reduce the incidence of cervical cancer, and the government committed to rolling out primary HPV screening across the NHS Cervical Screening Programme by the end of 2019.
NHS England invited NHS trusts to become hubs for the new service and announced the winning bidders in June. Seven of the eight laboratory services chosen had selected CliniSys to provide ICE as the requesting and results software that would connect them to GPs.
The company will deploy CliniSys ICE to support GP practices and laboratory services order tests and receive the results. Four of the trusts will also be using CliniSys WinPath laboratory information management system.
Matthew Fouracre, marketing manager of CliniSys, said “England’s cervical screening programme is an important public health intervention that saves thousands of lives every year.”
“The new primary HPV screening service should make it even more effective, and CliniSys is proud to have been given such a significant role in its roll-out.”
“CliniSys ICE is used by practices across the country to order a wide range of tests for patients, and it will be our job to make sure that they can be connected into this new service, so they can support the women who come forward for cervical screening.”
The full list of successful bidders and their use of CliniSys software is:
- London (Lot 1) – Health Services Laboratories (CliniSys LIMS)
- North East (Lot 2) – Gateshead Health NHS Foundation Trust (CliniSys ICE)
- North West (Lot 3) – Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust (CliniSys ICE)
- South Central (Lot 4) – Berkshire and Surrey Pathology Services at Frimley Health NHS Foundation Trust (CliniSys ICE and LIMS)
- South East (Lot 5) – Berkshire and Surrey Pathology Services at Frimley Health NHS Foundation Trust (CliniSys ICE and LIMS)
- South West (Lot 6) – North Bristol NHS Trust (CliniSys ICE and LIMS)
- East Midlands (Lot 7) – University Hospital Derby and Burton NHS Foundation Trust (CliniSys ICE)
- East (Lot 8) – Norfolk and Norwich University NHS Foundation Trust (CliniSys ICE)
- West Midlands (Lot 9) – The Royal Wolverhampton NHS Foundation Trust (CliniSys ICE and LIMS)